Students enrolled and regularly attending catechesis, or oral teachings, through Christian Formation department or Saint John Vianney School, receive First Communion in second grade. Parents, with assistance from catechists, prepare children for the sacrament.
Jesus said to them, ” I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst. John 6:35
There are several steps to receiving this sacrament:
- Register and regularly attend catechesis through Christian Formation or Saint John Vianney School.
- Regularly attend weekend liturgy.
- Attend the parent meeting for First Communion, generally held in January.
- Parent and first communicant complete activities in the handbook.
- Parent and first communicant attend Activity Day, generally held in March or April.
- Parent and first communicant design and make banner.
- Register for one of two First Communion Liturgies.
First Communion is received in early May, generally the first Saturday.