RETURNING TO MASS: PHASE 1
You are invited to return to Mass at St. John Vianney! Archbishop Listecki has granted us permission to begin the reopening of public Masses beginning with Pentecost weekend, May 30-31. However, there is no obligation to attend Mass in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee until September 13th. Our live stream Masses will remain available.
Weekend and Daily Mass times are scheduled as normal with limited capacity. The Saturday Vigil Mass is at 4:30 PM. Our Sunday Mass times are 8:30 AM and 11 AM. Live stream will be recorded at the 8:30 AM Mass. Daily Masses are at 7 AM Monday through Friday and 8 AM on Saturday morning.
What we have been directed to do in this re-opening will make some people satisfied and some not. We empathically ask that if you are in a high risk group or not comfortable returning to Mass yet, you should continue to enjoy our live streamed Masses. This is part of Phase 1 of our parish reopening and will have many new procedures that all parishioners must follow to attend Mass. These procedures will be reevaluated weekly.
CAPACITY AND SEATING
For now, Masses will be limited to 25% capacity across the Archdiocese. For St. John Vianney Parish that equates to a maximum of 250 per Mass. With the social distancing directives, we estimate 180 – 200 people will be able to be accommodated. Please arrive to Mass early to secure a spot.
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
- Wash your hands.
- Bring face masks.
- Bring your own hand sanitizer that can be used before receiving Holy Communion.
- Continue to wear your face mask as you approach and receive Holy Communion. You may adjust your mask after you turn away to consume.
- Do Not bring items that contain bleach into the sanctuary as this will damage the pews.
MASS ARRIVAL PROCEDURES
- Masks (for all except under the age of 2) are encouraged as soon as you exit your vehicle.
- Arrive 20-30 minutes before Mass begins, to stand in line to be seated. Church doors open 30 minutes before Mass.
- Only enter through the main church doors under the canopy.
- Seating will be on a first come/first served basis. Once we reach our capacity, all others will be asked to leave and will be encouraged to watch the live stream Mass in the comfort and safety of their home.
- You may reserve a seat by emailing SaveYourSeat@stjohnv.org by noon on Fridays for a weekend spot. (Note: only 100 seats at each weekend Mass may be reserved.)
- Masses will be conducted as you have seen on the Live Stream with reduced volunteer lay ministers. There will be no altar servers, choirs, eucharistic ministers or sacristans.
- Communion will be distributed by clergy and one Eucharistic Minister only.
- There is to be no physical contact between households at the Sign of Peace or hand holding during the Lord’s Prayer.
- Baskets will not be passed during the offertory. You will be able to place your weekly gift in a basket as you exit the church, and we strongly encourage online giving through FaithDirect.
Archbishop Listecki has mandated that communion not be offered on the tongue at this time. The precious blood will not be offered to the congregation. Use of personal hand sanitizer before and after communion is strongly encouraged.
MASS DEPARTURE PROCEDURES
- After the final song, parishioners may leave through any exit with proper social distancing.
- You must exit your pew if prompted. Private prayer is not available after Sunday Masses to allow the church to be reset for the next Mass.
- All exits of the of the church will be utilized during departure.
- You can drop your weekly offertory as you depart.
- Clergy will not shake hands in the narthex. They will wave as you exit.
- Please do not congregate outside but head directly to your vehicle to allow the next Mass to start on time.
CHURCH CLEANING PROCEDURES
We will continue to implement cleanliness and sanitization practices, including cleaning pews in between every Mass.
Disinfecting bathrooms, door handles, and other frequently touched surfaces occur throughout the day.
You are reminded to follow CDC recommendations regarding your own health. If you fall into an “at risk” category, please stay home and join us by Live Stream.